Our highly qualified team and specialists are trained in internationally acclaimed assessments and therapies, to empower our young clients to function to their maximum potential.
What makes us different?
Therapists work within a multi-disciplinary team, are all trained in Cognitive Enrichment Programs such as Thinking Maps, Habits of Mind, Visual Thinking Routines and Dr Bono’s Thinking Hats, have special interests and work with current up to date programmes in their respective fields. Treatment which our team can offer and areas in which they have expertise are:
The Psychology Department at Pro Ed Centre, led by highly experienced, Dr Anita Worrall and supported by her colleague, Mrs Sharon Hoffenberg, is one of the strongest in Cape Town.
Always informed by the latest international research on learning, literacy, memory, cognition and executive functions, they use the most recent assessment tools to advise parents and teachers of the child’s cognitive and learning profile. Based on this profile an individual education programme may be built.
Special Areas of Interest
- Latest Cognitive Assessments (WPPSI-IV and WISC V).
- Assessment of Executive Functions through published structured teacher and parent rating scales.
- Assessment of ADHD, through published rating scales and tests – MOXO, TeaCh.
- Assessment of memory through working memory rating scales.
- Literacy assessment – specialists in dyslexia.
- Mathematics Assessments – Dyscalculia.
- Specialists in Behaviour Management at home and in the classroom.
- Assessments towards Accommodations and Dispensations for those who require in later schooling.
Speech and Language Therapy
The Pro Ed Centre Speech Language Therapy Department currently consists of three private Speech Language Therapists. Services are available to learners at Pro Ed House School and learners from greater Cape Town area. These services include comprehensive assessments as well as individual and group therapy.
Treatment is provided to children with varying needs. The current profiles of children being treated at Pro Ed Centre includes, but not limited to those with various learning disabilities, Specific Language Impairment, Dyslexia, Childhood Apraxia of Speech and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Areas of special interest:
- Receptive and expressive language
- Speech articulation and speech motor planning
- Literacy and phonological awareness
- Reading Comprehension
- Expressive writing
- Social communication
- Early childhood intervention (0-5 years)
The Occupational Therapy Department currently consists of two Private Occupational Therapists, providing services to learners from various school settings and locations.
Treatment is provided to children with varying needs. The current profiles of children being treated at the Centre includes but is not limited to those with learning disabilities, motor skill difficulties, Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and/or requiring more support within the classroom setting. Individual treatment provided for children (Grade 00 to Grade 5).
Areas of special interest:
- Fine Motor and Visual Perception Stimulation Groups (Year 1 – 3).
- Interest in and incorporation of Sensory Integration Principles.
- Fine Motor Skill Development (including self-care).
- Visual Perceptual Skill Development.
- Gross Motor Skill Development.
- School Readiness.
- Handwriting Assessment.
- RAVE-O (Literacy Programme)
- Fluency Training.
- Intensive Literacy Training.
- Comprehension Strategies.
- Scholastic assessments for school readiness.
- Formal standardised Literacy and Mathematics assessments.
- Remedial reading intervention programmes.
- Remedial numeracy intervention programmes.
- Written expression programmes.
- Comprehension programmes.
All Therapists: Cognitive Programmes
- Thinking Maps.
- Habits of Mind.
- Thinking Hats.
- Thinking Routines.